Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11


This is a weird day for me this year... I have always been a very patriotic person and absolutely love the 4th of July! Heck, one of my favorite songs is "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood, and I even won concert tickets once singing that song on the radio! Anyway, September 11th is no exception to the patriotism. I have no ties to anyone who was killed, but the stories and experiences that I hear every year are heart breaking and it is hard not to be touched.
Well, it was also a year ago today that I went for my first doctor appointment when I was pregnant. I had thought I was almost 11 weeks along, but when the doctor did the ultrasound, the baby only measured at 7 weeks, 3 days. There was also no heartbeat. I didn't understand what the doctor had meant when she said the word "miscarriage". I kept thinking that since my body hadn't recognized that the baby didn't make it, maybe she was wrong! Not so lucky... Up to that point in my life, I never felt the true pain of losing something or someone.
My due date for that baby was right around the first part of April 2008. 3 months later, July 1st, I had a baby in this world and couldn't believe the difference in time! Although not the ideal circumstances for Zack to be coming so early, I have to smile and say "I am so blessed!"
So today as we remember those who were so brave 7 years ago, I am also thinking of my little one who didn't make it in this world, but how lucky I am to have my baby Zack to hold.

4 comments:

Josh, Amanda, and Talon said...

Well thanks for making me cry!! I wasn't planning on doing that today. But i did sure love this post.

Maria said...

He is looking so good you two! Amazing how life throws you one thing after another and yet somehow at some point it starts to make sense.

Ryan said...

that was a great post...and we're glad that timing was such, that we got you all as great neighbors and friends in the NICU :)
Zack is looking so good! Keep it up buddy :)

kristi said...

It's amazing how life turns out in the end, huh? The hard things we got through seem like they will never end - and then you blink and it's been a year. You are truly an example to me. Thank you!